Can we afford full disclosure of security holes?

From: Richard M. Smith (rmsat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 11:39:06 PDT

    Hello,

    The research company Computer Economics is calling Code Red
    the most expensive computer virus in the history of the Internet.
    They put the estimated clean-up bill so far at $2 billion.
    I happen to think the $2 billion figure is total hype,
    but clearly a lot of time and money has been spent cleaning up after
    Code Red.

    For the sake of argument, let's say that Computer Economics
    is off by a factor of one hundred.  That still puts the
    clean-up costs at $20 million.

    This $20 million figure begs the question was it really
    necessary for eEye Digital Security to release full details
    of the IIS buffer overflow that made the Code Red I and II worms
    possible?  I think the answer is clearly no.

    Wouldn't it have been much better for eEye to give the details
    of the buffer overflow only to Microsoft?  They could have still
    issued a security advisory saying that they found a problem in IIS
    and where to get the  Microsoft patch.  I realized that a partial
    disclosure policy isn't as sexy as a full disclosure policy, but
    I believe that less revealing eEye advisory would have saved a lot
    companies a lot of money and grief.

    Unlike the eEye advisory, the Microsoft advisory on the IIS
    security hole shows the right balance.  It gives IIS customers
    enough information about the buffer overflow without giving a recipe
    to virus writers of how to exploit it.

    Thanks,
    Richard M. Smith
    CTO, Privacy Foundation
    http://www.privacyfoundation.org

    Links

    Code Red Virus 'Most Expensive in History of Internet'
    http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/12668.html

    eEye security advisory -- All versions of Microsoft
    IIS Remote buffer overflow (SYSTEM LevelAccess)
    http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Advisories/AD20010618.html

    eEye security advisory -- .ida "Code Red" Worm
    http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Advisories/AL20010717.html

    Unchecked Buffer in Index Server ISAPI Extension Could Enable Web Server
    Compromise
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/secur
    ity/bulletin/MS01-033.asp