RE: [vor] Re: Can we afford full disclosure of security holes?

From: Lyle (Lyleat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 18:18:47 PDT

    I don't normally post on lists like this.  I certainly don't have the
    knowledge or abilities that eEye or many of the others here have and I
    certainly don't pretend to.  But I am here primarily to listen, to learn
    what I can.  I am a System Administrator by trade as an independent IT
    consultant.  I need to know where the next attack is coming from before the
    vendor gets around to patching it or to recognize a hole in my security plan
    at my customer's site.

    My customer's site is not the same as any other customer site that is
    around.  Every one is unique.  Their configuration is determined by money,
    expertise, needs and available technology.  Where this varies widely is what
    Internet connectivity is available at what price.  And this is within a very
    major metropolitan area.

    So in the end, one size does not fit all.  How I react and cover up any
    particular security hole depends on a couple of things, primarily, 1) How
    vulnerable is this customer to this threat?  2) How do I protect this
    customer from this threat and at what cost?  #2 requires the knowledge of
    how the threat spreads and what it does and how the customer's
    infra-structure is  built.

    I, for one, cann't do my job without the help of full disclosure as I sure
    cann't depend on Microsoft or any other vendor to release information found
    here on a timely fashion to make sure my customers are covered.  If this
    were a better world and the software vendors did a better job at disclosing
    the problems, maybe just maybe full disclosure wouldn't be needed.  As it is
    now, I cann't depend on the vendor to give me the information I need to make
    good decisions.

    Lyle