BID 3161: other ZyXEL Prestige routers affected too

From: Daniel Roethlisberger (danielat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 11:47:02 PDT

    I've received word that the ZyXEL Prestige 202 router has its
    administrative telnet/FTP services open on the WAN side too, and
    preconfigured filters are not applied and do not work properly if
    applied as-is. In addition, I was able to check out an oldish
    Prestige 100, and it too was vulnerable, same situation.

    I suspect that the vast majority of ZyXEL Prestige family routers
    have this problem. It is less of a problem with non-DSL routers
    that are not online 24/7, but it is still dangerous enough in any
    case. The issue must have been around for years...

    The latest vulnerability info for BID 3161 is now:

    Vulnerable:
      ZyXEL Prestige 100
      ZyXEL Prestige 202
      ZyXEL Prestige 642R
      ZyXEL Prestige 642R-I

    Not Vulnerable:
      ZyXEL Prestige 642M
      ZyXEL Prestige 642M-I

    If you have access to a ZyXEL router, check whether admin services
    are open to the Internet, and let me know about the results. Thanks.

    Cheers,
    Dan

    --
       Daniel Roethlisberger <danielat_private>
       PGP Key ID 0x8DE543ED with fingerprint