RE: BID 3161: other ZyXEL Prestige routers affected too

From: Tracy Martin (tracyat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 20:26:28 PDT

    Greetings,

    Here is some information that I encountered not too long ago that relates to
    this situation.

    I do not know if this applies to any router other than the NetGear RT-314
    (and identical ZyXEL router, since NetGear simply OEMs the ZyXEL routers),
    but it *does* work on that router:

    Command:  IP TCP MSS 0

    This command (used in menu 24.8) sets the maximum segment size (TCP/IP
    parameter controlling how large a packet may be received or sent) to zero -
    thus stopping all traffic addressed directly to the router (because any
    packet is going to be larger than 0 bytes). By "all", I mean both WAN side
    and LAN side addresses - the only way to communicate directly with the
    router is over a serial connection. Note that this is not an "elegant"
    solution - there may be (probably are) better ways to accomplish this task
    (protocol filters, for example). But it is an easy way to do it, and for
    people who are actually using the filtering capabilities of this router, it
    gives back a few filter rules that can then be used for other purposes.

    You can also change the default for this setting by modifying the statement
    in the AUTOEXEC.NET. By default, the AUTOEXEC.NET file contains:

    IP TCP MSS 512

    Note that this setting does not affect the routing functions of the router -
    only direct communication with the router (effectively closing HTTP, FTP,
    and Telnet access to the routers functions). Control of the router can still
    be done using a serial link, as can firmware updates.

    I know it's an inconvenience to have to go *to* the router to configure it,
    but it's sure a lot more secure.

    I've seen a large number of port 21 and port 80 attempts on the router's LAN
    address (more so than any other address in my network) and also a fair
    number on the router's WAN address. Port 23 hasn't been neglected, either,
    but not in anywhere near the volume as the other two (which leads me to
    believe that the other two are mostly other things, like Code Red variants,
    or people looking for hiding places for their warez).

    The page where I found this setting is:

    http://pages.infinit.net/neo2048/how-to.htm

    Note that the main page for the site is at (it's a frame menu, and doesn't
    display if you go directly to the page referenced above):

    http://pages.infinit.net/neo2048/frame.htm

    There is a fair amount of additional information on configuring the NetGear
    RT-314 (and, hence, the identical ZyXEL router) on these pages - some good,
    some bad. One thing that was very helpful to me was some of the discussion
    on setting up "generic filters" (bytestream filters rather than protocol
    filters).

    Note that I am not affiliated with the site in question - I just think they
    have some good info available.

    Tracy Martin
    ArisiaSoft