Re: HTML Form Protocol Attack

From: Sevo Stille (sevoat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 15:58:09 PDT

    Barnaby Gray wrote:

    > I tried this out on mozilla, lynx and netscape (all linux) and got the
    > following results:
    >
    > mozilla 0.9.1
    >
    > Pops up message:
    > "Access to the port number given has been disabled for security reasons."

    For ports below 80. There are a lot of other potentially vulnerable
    services above 80. pop3 in particular is used by the largest German ISP
    without password authentication (users are authenticated through their
    temporary IP address and associated Radius information), so the
    described pop3 deletion attacks against their users email would very
    trivial.

    > When I tried to get it to connect to ftp (port 21) - however if you add
    > 65536 to this value, so try submitting the form to 65557 it doesn't
    > complain and will connect to port 21,

    Which opens the remaining ports...

    > but gets stuck halfway through
    > the transmission, without submitting the evil data.

    Not stuck - unless you send a carefully crafted form faking a ftp
    session, the ftp server would be waiting for some valid ftp commands to
    roll in.

    Sevo

    --
    Sevo Stille