RE: HTML email "bug", of sorts.

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 12:39:34 PDT

    If you're filtering outbound traffic in a corporate environment (something
    I'd recommend), it will stop that sort of thing. Additionally, if you're
    just a normal dial-up user, you can stop it by opening your connection icon,
    choose properties, networking, and make sure "File and Printer Sharing for
    Microsoft Networks" is unchecked, as well as "Client for Microsoft
    Networks". The first is off by default, the second is enabled by default. If
    you are a dial-up user, and not on a home LAN, turning off the Workstation
    service will accomplish the same thing. Additionally, a home user can enable
    SMB signing, which also defeats the attack. Rolling out SMB signing in a
    corporate environment is a bit more complicated.