Re: Multiple-Vendor-FTP-Vuln. (old?)

From: Roman Drahtmueller (drahtat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 16:40:30 PDT

    > i tested an old proftpd bug (ls /../*/../*/../*/../*/../*/../*/../*) on =
    > many new Linux-Dist.. When a user logged in in ftp and type
    > the ls command the in.ftpd takes over 90 percent cpu-usage and execute =
    > the command 2 or 3x than the full system hang up. it also works in =
    > console. I wonder that is not fixed. THIS BUG IS OLD. POSTED ON BUGTRAQ  =
    > in march 01, but
    > it still works so i post it again.
    >
    > affected:
    >
    > RedHat Linux 7.x
    > Linux Mandrake 8.0
    > SuSE Linux 7.2

    I wonder when or where you tested this. The proftpd package that can be
    found in the /pub/suse/<arch>/update/*/n1/ directories on ftp.suse.com
    (age: May 9th) do not show this behaviour and appears to be sane.

    [...]

    > Fix:
    >
    > set cpu-limit for your anonymous user.

    I doubt that this solution is very efficient if you provide automatic
    gzip (and maybe tar) service so that your users can get a directory
    recursively in form of a tarfile by using the command

     get directory_name.tar.gz

    You'd have to choose...

    Also recommended:

    DenyFilter  "%"

    if there are more format string errors in the code, this might be an easy
    workaround until the code is fixed in the right place.

    Roman.
    --
    | Roman Drahtmüller      <drahtat_private> //          "Caution: Cape does |