Re[2]: HTML email "bug", of sorts.

From: Mark Tinberg (tinbergat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 17:39:24 PDT

    I think that Walter hinted at another scheme that hasn't yet been
    explicitly mentioned.  By making a request like the one below the spammer
    can use their DNS server logs to track messages, even if all TCP access is
    blocked by a personal firewall.

    The answer, as stated below, is that any email client that does HTML mail
    should be highly restricted on what tags it interprets (no "active"
    content) and should not display anything that didn't come included with
    the message.  Possibly there should be a special DTD just for this
    purpose.

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Walter Hop wrote:

    ..SNIP..

    > http://4747683621.spammer.com/