Eudora MUA: Risky practice

From: Borja Marcos (borjamat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 00:36:49 PDT

    	Hello,

    	I have observed a very risky default setting in the Eudora MUA.

    	Attachments received with messages are stored in a directory, where they are
    left although the user erases the message. "Automatic attachment deletion"
    seems to be an optional feature, while it should be the default behavior.

    	I think this is risky and should be changed; Windows has brought us
    something great: the confusion between data and programs, and what actually
    happens when "opening" a file depends on the file type.

    	A user deleting the attachments from the disk (for example, hundreds of
    copies of Sircam) can execute one of them by accident. This deletion is
    usually done from the Windows file manager, which will never ask for
    confirmation before executing a file. As Windows has a joke command-line
    interface, this is perhaps the only option left for the user to delete the
    messages.

    	I know this is a Windows fault, but Qualcomm would enhance their product
    changing the behavior to automatically deleting an attachment whenever a
    message is deleted. Better, I think it would be better to extract an
    attachment from a message if and only if the user explicitly "opens" the
    attachment or saves it to disk. It would also help to avoid disk clutter.

    	Regards,

    	Borja.