Re: Possible Issue with Netinfo and Mac OS X

From: Marc Liyanage (liyanageat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 14:37:37 PDT

    >Other issues for OS X is that anyone could boot into single user mode and
    >have root with out any authentication. Although this usually isn't a problem
    >for servers, it is for computers used in K12 and higher education along with
    >kiosks.

    I *think* this can be prevented by setting an Open Firmware password
    on newer machines which support the feature.

    This will prevent

    - Single user boot
    - Verbose boot
    - Hitting the Alt key to select a different boot volume

    and probably other stuff...

    http://homepage.mac.com/codesamurai/.Public/Texts/Open%20Firmware%20-%20Password.txt

    I'm not sure if they fixed that password bypass thing
    by changing the amount of RAM, though. But at least
    you have to open up the machine to do this.

    -Marc

    Marc Liyanage                                  liyanageat_private
                                                http://www.entropy.ch
                                                          ICQ 5077985

                                          Yoda I am. Grammar I can't.