Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-047

From: Craig Boston (craigat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 12:55:40 PDT

    On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 19:54:58 -0500 H D Moore <hdmat_private> wrote:

    > I thought this was a feature ;)
    >
    > To dump the complete GAL:
    > http://exchangesvr/exchange/finduser/fumsg.asp

    I tried this on my 5.5 SP4 server with OWA.  I replaced http with https as
    I have IIS configured to only allow encrypted access to the /exchange tree
    and got redirected back to the logon screen since I didn't have a session cookie.

    > If you get redirected back to the logon page immediately, it means that you
    > must establish a session with your browser first.  To do that, just browse to:
    >
    > http://exchangesvr/exchange/LogonFrm.asp?mailbox=&isnewwindow=0

    This request gets me a blank page with a javascript popup saying "This page
    has been disabled, please see your administrator."  I got an ASPSESSIONID
    cookie, however the first URL still redirects me back to the logon page.  I
    encountered similar results with Aviram Jenik's method.

    My guess is this is because I have disabled anonymous access to public
    folders.  I'm not 100% sure but it would appear at first glance that this
    provides some protection against the GAL enumeration exploit.

    Exchange Administrator, Site/Configuration/Protocols/HTTP and uncheck both
    boxes about anonymous access.  Probably a good idea anyway if you have no
    public folders that need to be accessed anonymously.

    --
    Craig Boston, CCNA
    Network Administrator