ProFTPd and reverse DNS

From: Matthew S . Hallacy (poptixat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 14:38:27 PDT

    Howdy,

    	Recently while browsing through security logs I noticed that quite a few of the hosts
    connecting to the machine did not resolve, I've checked into it, and apparently ProFTPd does
    not check forward to reverse DNS mappings, and only resolves the IP address connecting. This
    could easily lead to an attacker hiding his real hostname from logfiles, or an attacker
    slipping through ACL's by modifying their hostname. For the time being I recommend that the
    option 'UseReverseDNS' be disabled in the configuration file until this is fixed.

    Unfortunately I was not able to contact anyone to discuss this, as www.proftpd.org has been
    down for the past 4-5 days that I've tried it, the version tested was 1.2.2rc2.

    				Matthew S. Hallacy