Re: ProFTPd and reverse DNS

From: The Flying Hamster (hamsterat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 01:21:37 PDT

    On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 03:38:27PM -0600, Matthew S . Hallacy wrote:
    > Howdy,
    >
    > 	Recently while browsing through security logs I noticed that quite a few of the hosts
    > connecting to the machine did not resolve, I've checked into it, and apparently ProFTPd does
    > not check forward to reverse DNS mappings, and only resolves the IP address connecting. This
    > could easily lead to an attacker hiding his real hostname from logfiles, or an attacker
    > slipping through ACL's by modifying their hostname. For the time being I recommend that the
    > option 'UseReverseDNS' be disabled in the configuration file until this is fixed.

    I note that other people are recommending mod_wrap and inetd mode, I
    would also caution against relying on rDNS anyway.

    > Unfortunately I was not able to contact anyone to discuss this, as www.proftpd.org has been
    > down for the past 4-5 days that I've tried it, the version tested
    > was 1.2.2rc2.

    It has?  News to me.

    For the record there are a significant number of mirror sites which
    conform to the www.<isocode>.proftpd.org naming scheme (we cover about
    26 countries now).  Bugs should be reported via
    http://bugs.proftpd.org/

    Security issues: securityat_private
    Core team: coreat_private (please only use this for issues which
    aren't appropriate to the mailing lists, security alias or the bug
    system).

    If you can raise a bug on this issue via the bugzilla interface I
    would appreciate it.

       Mark

    --
    The Flying Hamster <hamsterat_private>         http://hamster.wibble.org/
    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!