Re: More security problems in Apache on Mac OS X

From: Jeremey A. Mates (jmatesat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 19:01:09 PDT

    * Paul Lieberman <liebat_private> [2001-09-11 16:46:59]:
    > This matches any file that starts with a period and seems to do the
    > trick. I can't think of an instance where you'd want a hidden file
    > to display on the web. Am I missing something?

    Yes; I block all dot files by default on my webservers, and ran into a
    recent problem where a particular site used Server Side Includes (SSI)
    to reference ".lastupdate" files via "#include virtual" statements.
    The site stopped working when moved under my webserver, due to the SSI
    invoking a full lookup on the URI, which was blocked due to the
    dot-file restriction.

    Just something to keep in mind...

    --
    Jeremy Mates                                      http://www.sial.org/

    	   "You cannot control, only catch." -- Tsung Tsai