Myownemail.com accounts vulnerable to script attack.

From: onesemicolonat_private
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 17:30:28 PDT

    TOPIC: Myownemail.com accounts vulnerable to script attack.
    ADVISORY NR: 200101
    DATE: 12-09-01
    VULNERABILITY FOUND AND WRITTEN BY: 1; (One Semicolon)

    CONTACT INFORMATION:
    http://onesemicolon.cjb.net
    meat_private

    STATUS
    Myownemail.com was contacted on September 5, 2001 using the support form.
    No reply was received.

    DESCRIPTION
    Myownemail.com is a web based mail service that lets you choose from a large
    amount of domains to get a personalized email account. This vulnerability was
    tested to work in Internet Explorer 5.5 and Netscape Navigator 4.73.

    VULNERABILITY
    Whenever you login to a Myownemail account the inbox is opened. If you send a email
    with a specially formed "from" field, which usually contains a name, you can
    execute javascript, vbscript, etc. on the computer of the person who logged in.

    FIX
    Myownemail.com has not yet fixed this to my knowledge.

    FINAL NOTES
    Recently a advisory was posted on Bugtraq about a similar bug in Hotmail. This
    advisory was not written because of that. I found this particular problem on
    September 5th. On the same day I contacted Myownemail.com.
    I sent Myownemail a simple proof of concept, because it is easy enough to make
    this work I do not see the need to produce example code.