leak of information in counterpane/Bruce Schneier's Password Safe program

From: Valentin Butanescu (valiat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 18:20:15 PDT

    Background : Password Safe (http://www.counterpane.com/passsafe.html)
    is a free win9x/2000 utility used to keep all your passwords encrypted on hdd
    using Bruce Schneier's symmetric algorithm blowfish.

    Version tested : 1.7(1)

    Vulnerability : Password Safe has an option (I think is default) to
    "lock password database on minimize and prompt on restore" and is
    doing a good job, at least this is what I can tell, without source.
    And looks like is cleaning the memory so there are no
    username/passwords exposed (this is what you expect from a good
    designed password utility). However, in some cases the last entered
    username remains in memory exposed in cleartext. This is happening
    for example if the user had on the screen the window with "Would you like to
    set "example_user" as your default username?" This could be also a
    windows memory management problem, and there is probably a workaround.

    The second problem (and the first in order of importance) is that you
    can find cleartext passwords in memory in some cases if you copy the
    password to clipboard AND minimize Password Safe with both options
    "Clear the password when minimized" and "Lock password database on
    minimize and promp on restore" activated. For this is enough to click
    in a text box like Start/Run before minimizing Password Safe. The
    clipboard is cleared but apparently windows manage to copy the
    password in a buffer.

    Conclusion: most likely the memory management in windows plays a role
    in all this problems. The most simple way to prevent all this problems
    is to use a "lock" program that will force an attacker to reboot your
    computer in order to "get in" (this will not stop the motivated
    attacker to get the memory content directly, but this is not a
    technology within the reach of most individuals or organizations).
    Do not think that if you are prompted for a password in order to
    access the minimized Password Safe your passwords are really secure.
    Password Safe is still a good product (as far as I know), but expect a
    little less protection if your laptop is stolen while Password Safe is
    running minimized.

    More details: because I could not find a simple program to
    search in memory for win2k I had to make all the tests on a fresh
    win95. I expect to have the same results on win98 and ME. No, I did
    not run any strange clipboard management program.

    That's all for today,
    all the best for everyone
    Valentin Butanescu.