Re: Hushmail.com accounts vulnerable to script attack.

From: Brian Smith (sundaydriverat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 18:04:11 PDT

    There was a sporadic problem with our IMAP/PHP
    session management that occured around the 6th
    and 7th of this month.  It was caused by a race
    condition that occasionally resulted in non-unique
    session IDs, in which case the second party to
    receive the duplicate ID would have limited access to
    the first party's IMAP account.

    I stress that this did not compromise private keys,
    passphrases, or encrypted mail at any point, as all
    encryption operations are handled in the client Java
    applet.  There was no opening for a targeted attack -
    what exposure resulted was random.

    Sorry if this is a repeat post.

    Brian Smith, Hush Communications
    brian.smithat_private

    >Upon inquiry Hushmail confirmed that
    > they had a problem with user authentification but
    they
    > state that no encrypted email was exposed. I also
    have
    > to add that the PGP signature on the email sent
    > through my account did not verify. Nevertheless, the
    > email originated from Hushmails mailserver and
    reached
    > a recipient _containing_ a previous email. This can
    do
    > some serious damage to people handling
    confidential