Re: Question about Local vulnerability in libutil derived with FreeBSD.

From: Clifton Royston (cliftonrat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 11:53:06 PDT

    On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 09:45:52AM -0700, Seth Arnold wrote:
    > On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 12:31:12PM +0300, Rumen Telbizov wrote:
    > > I tried the above vunlarability on 2 FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE
    > > boxes and it worked out! I tried this on one Linux RH6.2 box
    > > with OpenSSH installed on it and it DID NOT work.
    >
    > This latest vulnerability is specific to systems that have implemented
    > the BSD authentication class scheme. So, as far as I know, the only
    > systems that could be vulnerable to this particular problem are BSDi,
    > FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and possibly NetBSD.[1] So far, there have been
    > confirmations of FreeBSD vulnerability, a compellingly good description
    > of why OpenBSD is not vulnerable, and (as far as I remember) no feedback
    > from BSDi or NetBSD.

    According to its documentation BSD/OS (BSDi) only supports the primary
    /etc/login.conf, and does not support the user-level ~/login.conf
    construct, as of BSD/OS 4.1 (haven't checked 4.2 yet).  This seems to
    render the whole issue irrelevant for BSD/OS.

    I've tested and confirmed this on one BSD/OS 4.1 system.  Unless my
    test is incorrect, it doesn't appear I can override or set anything at
    all from ~/login.conf.
      -- Clifton

    --
     Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonrat_private
       WWJD?   "JWRTFM!" - Scott Dorsey (kludge)   "JWG" - Eddie Aikau