Re: Question about Local vulnerability in libutil derived with FreeBSD.

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 09:45:52 PDT

    On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 12:31:12PM +0300, Rumen Telbizov wrote:
    > I tried the above vunlarability on 2 FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE
    > boxes and it worked out! I tried this on one Linux RH6.2 box
    > with OpenSSH installed on it and it DID NOT work.

    This latest vulnerability is specific to systems that have implemented
    the BSD authentication class scheme. So, as far as I know, the only
    systems that could be vulnerable to this particular problem are BSDi,
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and possibly NetBSD.[1] So far, there have been
    confirmations of FreeBSD vulnerability, a compellingly good description
    of why OpenBSD is not vulnerable, and (as far as I remember) no feedback
    from BSDi or NetBSD.

    Until Linux distributors start shipping BSD authentication support,
    Linux users ought to remain pretty safe from this problem.

    (With the exception of BSDi, I doubt any other commercial unix-like or
    unix vendors ship the BSD authentication stuff. As always, ask your
    vendor for details. :)

    Cheers! :)

    [1]: My apologies to our NetBSD friends; I promise I'll give NetBSD a
    test drive someday. :)