IDS: Re: On IDS Evasion, Vulnerabilities, and Vendor Hype

From: Jeff Nathan (jeffat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 16:34:13 PDT

    Archive: http://msgs.securepoint.com/ids
    FAQ IDS: http://www.sans.org/newlook/resources/IDFAQ/ID_FAQ.htm
    FAQ NIDS: http://www.ticm.com/kb/faq/idsfaq.html
    IDS: http://www-rnks.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~sobirey/ids.html
    HELP: Having problems... email questions to ids-ownerat_private
    NOTE: Remove this section from reply msgs otherwise the msg will bounce.
    SPAM: DO NOT send unsolicted mail to this list.
    UNSUBSCRIBE: email "unsubscribe ids" to majordomoat_private
    Jackie Chan wrote:

    > Eric, I'm with you on the inability for large companies to act quickly
    > with their technology, but uber fast on the marketing and spin... but the
    > following passage form your email seems to miss its mark with me:
    >
    > "There is no simple pattern matching facility that will work for UTF-8
    > encoding, unlike %u encoding."
    >
    > My question is, and forgive me if i'm being over simplistic here, but if
    > "there is no simple pattern matching facility", then how exactly does it
    > get decoded at the destination.  It seems to me that if IIS can do it on
    > the fly, that somewhere in the packet toss algorithms of IDS such a thing
    > could be flagged or ruled out.
    >
    > Now obviously the location at which this check either gets performed, or
    > does not,  needs to be well qualified.
    >
    > -blue0ne
    >
    > --
    > -blue0ne
    > http://www.digitz.org
    >
    > "The great bulk of my wealthy and educated friends regard me as a dangerous crank."
    >         - Theodore Roosevelt

    It's called URI normalization and it's how many a detection engine
    implement decoding of both utf-8 encoded URIs as well as %u encoded
    URIs.

    To Erik's point, I think we all realize it's easier to cast stones than
    to do the requisite research and actually solve a problem.

    -Jeff

    --
    http://jeff.wwti.com            (pgp key available)
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."