RE: Mac OS X v10.0.x J2SE v1.3 clipboard tapping vulnerability

From: Thor Larholm (Thorat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 03:57:00 PDT

    Reading and writing to the system clipboard may be outside the sandbox of
    Java Applets, but is a well-documented, and widely used, feature in the
    Object Model of Internet Explorer, when using JScript. From the
    documentation, this should work on Macintosh as well.

    If you look at the clipboardData object (
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/clipboardD
    ata.asp ), you will notice the clearData, getData and setData methods that
    it contains.

    A quick test: Go to your Adress bar and write

    Javascript:alert(clipboardData.getData("Text"))
    Javascript:void(clipboardData.setData("Text","your content"))
    Javascript:alert(clipboardData.getData("Text"))

    What is considered a security hole in one place may be a feature in another
    - Java Applets in IE has access to JScript, and hence IEs Object Model and
    the clipboardData object.

    Regards
    Thor Larholm
    Jubii A/S - Internet Programmer

    http://java-house.etl.go.jp/~takagi/java/security/mrj-clipboard/Test.html

    --
    Hiromitsu Takagi, Ph.D.
    National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology,