IBM AS/400 HTTP Server '/' attack

From: 'ken'@FTU
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 06:41:33 PST

       IBM's HTTP Server on the AS/400 platform is vulnerable to an attack
    that will show the source code of the page -- such as an .html or .jsp
    page -- by attaching an '/' to the end of a URL.

    Compare these two URL's:

    http://www.foo.com/getsource.jsp

    http://www.foo.com/getsource.jsp/

    The later URL will deliver the jsp source to the browser.

    I reported this problem to IBM approximately 9 or 10 months ago.

    I was told it was a bug but not a security vulnerability. When I
    explained that Microsoft had a similar bug (asp dot bug) they told me
    that "they did not share the same source code base." I replied to this
    ludicrous reply: "Isn't it possible that since you developed servers
    that function in a similar manner you have the same logical bug?" To
    this they were speechless. I imagine that a .jsp page could contain user
    names and passwords if they are accessing databases, especially if these
    databases are on the network.

    By the way, the IBM HTTP server was derived from an early version of
    Apache. I have not seen Apache servers vulnerable to this bug.

    Since I reported this "non-security" bug so long ago I hope it is fixed
    through the regular set of changes. I cannot confirm this bug was fixed.
    As far as I know this vulnerability was not yet reported to the public.

    'ken'