Re: More problems with RADIUS (protocol and implementations)

From: Joshua Hill (joshat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 12:54:38 PST

    On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 12:16:02PM -0500, alandat_private wrote:
    >   Some points in that message were also covered by Joshua, he added a
    > number of good points, and missed a few others.  Specifically, rfc2869
    > defines the Message-Authenticator attribute, which is used to sign
    > packets.  This signature allows Access-Request packets to be verified,
    > negating the security problems of spoofed packets.

    Unless the attacker simply removes the Message-Authenticator from
    the packets before replaying them...

    Leaving out any reference to rfc2869 was an oversight on my part.  I
    recently updated the online version of my analysis with pertinent
    information regarding the Message-Authenticator.  Take a look at the
    last two paragraphs of section 4.2 at:
     http://www.untruth.org/~josh/security/radius/radius-auth.html

    			Thanks for your comments,
    			Josh