Re: More problems with RADIUS (protocol and implementations)

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquelsat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 07:53:28 PST

    According to 3APA3A:
    > 2.   RFC  2865  requires  unpredictability  of  authenticator  value  in
    > Authentication  Request packet. Many RADIUS servers and client libraries
    > implementations   do  not  follow  it.  Many  of  them  have  code  like
    > srand(time(0) + getpid()) (or even srand(time(0)) + rand(). As you know,
    > the number of rand() states is very limited and it's easy to predict the
    > state of PRNG. It opens possibility to spoof NAS Authentication Request.
    > For  example  Cistron  RADIUS has this flow in proxy module. Many RADIUS
    > client libraries also have this flow.

    In the 1.6.5 snapshot of Cistron Radius, soon the be the real 1.6.5,
    this has been fixed for Linux by using /dev/urandom to seed the
    random generator.

    > 3.  Most  of current freeware RADIUS server implementations (and some of
    > commerce  ones)  are  derived  from Cistron. And most of them (including
    > Cistron  itself)  have buffer overflow in digest calculation (in case of
    > Cistron itself it's static data overflow in calc_acctdigest() function).

    Also fixed in the 1.6.5 snapshot. That is the snapshot of tonight ;)

    Mike.
    --
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
     and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.