Re: MS IE Password inputs

From: Cody Smith (smithccat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 02:34:02 PST

    Worse than this is a gaping hole in Windows versions of Opera 5 and 6.  I
    haven't tested earlier versions, but they could easily be vulnerable.

    In Opera, passwords boxes can be read externally, by other processes.
    ShoWin (~ 23 kb) is one such app which will divulge the contents of most
    password boxes in Windows.

    In IE and Netscape, ShoWin selects the entire document being viewed, rather
    than any individual elements, so it can't read passwords.  However, in
    Opera, ShoWin will report the contents of individual form elements,
    including password boxes.  Simply position the crosshairs over the password
    field and ShoWin displays the password in the 'Title' box.

    Also, Opera will remember the status of form elements, including passwords,
    when moving back and forward, so passwords are highly vulnerable throughout
    the life of the document window.  I was able to log into Hotmail with the
    'Public/shared computer' option, check mail, send mail, logout, and then go
    all the way back and read my own password.

    Cody Smith