Re: SuSE 7.3 : Kernel 2.4.10-4GB Bug

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 17:47:21 PST

    On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 12:04:58AM +0000, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
    > I've been able to reproduce the results (instant reboot) by running the
    > vmlinux as a normal user in a clean Linux 2.4.10 plus ext3,
    > on Red Hat Linux system, Pentium 233 MMX processor.

    I have a hunch of where the problem may have been fixed:

    [2,4.11-pre5]
    - Jakub Jelinek: ELF loader cleanups
    [2.4.11-pre3]
     - various: embarrassing lack of error checking in ELF loader
    [2.4.11-pre2]
    - Jakub Jelinek: handle more ELF loading special cases

    Vendors wishing to backport patches into their kernels may wish to start
    by looking at these patches.

    (I've long felt that the ELF loader is a likely place for festering
    problems. If anyone else wants to audit the binfmt_elf loader, I know I
    would be greatful. :)