Re: Xitami Webserver stores admin password in clear text.

From: Larry W. Cashdollar (lwcat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 06:52:42 PST

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Tom Micklovitch wrote:

    > This is a known issue, and certainly on windows versions on Xitami, you actually have to create
    > the file defaults.aut yourself, as in, actually type in it's contents.

    I know it is, its in the FAQ mentioned on the xitami website and
    referenced in my advisory, that is why I released a little early.

    > But you are correct - it would be nice if it was encoded somehow.
    >
    > A more worrying issue is the fact that defaults.aut is world readable AND writable, hence if you
    > have shared the drive it's on, anyone on the local network can simply replace it with their password.

    I only tested on Linux, and in my installation defaults.aut was world
    readable but not world writeable.   I did notice that the development
    version 2.5b5 that the default.aut file was group writeable as well.

    -- Larry