Re: *ALERT* BID 3581: Wu-Ftpd File Globbing Heap Corruption Vulnerability

From: Jedi/Sector One (jat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 12:55:55 PST

    On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 09:32:25AM +0100, Morten Poulsen wrote:
    > > ftp> ls -al ~{
    > > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    > No, it's a problem in your client. I can btw reproduce it with the ftp
    > client from Linux NetKit 0.16 on LinuxPPC.

      'ls -al <something here>' in a command-line ftp client means to save the
    result of 'ls -al' in '<something here>' .

      <something here> is expanded by your FTP client. The ftp server only sees
    'ls -al'. So you are probably triggering the glibc bug locally.

      If you want to send a pattern and ls options, quote the space :

      ls -al\ ~{

      Best regards,
           -Frank.

    --
               Upgrade your FTP server to something simple and secure
                               http://www.pureftpd.org