Re: Axis Network Camera known default password vulnerability

From: Torgeir Hansen (trengerat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 23:32:53 PST

    I'd be more worried about the old firmwares (2.0x (I tested 2.12 also
    which isn't vulnerable) that contain amongst others:
    /cgi-bin/paramtool and /cgi-bin/hwtestio, you don't need to authorize to
    access them.
    (seems to be a misconfiguration in the webserver)

    paramtool can be used like this:
    "http://>/cgi-bin/paramtool?--blargh

    which will show the entire config of the webcam, including:
    root.InternalSecurity.Passwd { root { passwd [ "plAsx1.0CzA.wd" ] (...)
    Which shouldn't be too hard to crack :)
    This could also reveal dialup info, like phone-numbers, username and
    passwords.
    (if this camera is set up to be serving images through dialup
    connection)

    And then there is /cgi-bin/hwtestio, which I think was really bad -
    as it tells the user how to use it, and remember: you do not have to log
    in to the web-pages to
    access this script either!
    Basically it tells you:
    --------------------------
     -ix Test IO x times
     -rx Relay switch repeated x times
    --------------------------
    i.e. you can do "http://>/cgi-bin/hwtestio?-r242424", and
    the camera basically crashes.

    PS! This IS old info, firmware upgrades that fix these problems exist
    and have for a while.
    And Chris and/or the - good for you that you actually managed to read on
    axis' webpages, good on ya!

    --torgeir

    Chris Gragsone wrote:

    >   Axis Network Camera known default password vulnerability
    >   by Chris Gragsone
    >   Foot Clan
    >
    >   Date: November 17, 2001
    >   Advisory ID: Foot-20011117
    >   Impact of vulnerability: Default Password
    >   Exploitable: Remotely
    >   Maximum Risk: Moderate
    >
    >   Affected Software:
    >   Axis Network Camera 2120
    >   Axis Network Camera 2110
    >   Axis Network Camera 2100
    >   Axis Network Camera 200+
    >   Axis Network Camera 200
    >
    >   Vulnerability:
    >   Log into any Axis Network Camera via ftp, telnet, or http
    >   Default account: root
    >   Default password: pass

    >   http://www.axis.com/solutions/cam_vid/surveillance/index.html
    >   Contact:
    >   http://footclan.realwarp.net Chris Gragsone (maetricsat_private)
    >
    >   Disclaimer:
    >   The contents of this advisory are lame and should probably not be
    read.