Crashing X

From: scott (smackenzat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 13:26:53 PST

    I have discovered a little bug in K Desktop 2.1.2 that crashes your X Server.

    By using the konqueror web browser and inputting around 9000+ A's (or
    whatever) into a search box (for instance www.yahoo.com's web search box) -
    this will crash your X environment.

    I have successfully done it using 9000 A's on one search box (crashing X
    instantly),  then I used 90'000 and it also worked - but without immediate
    effect (took a few seconds).

    It also sometimes seems to work by just pasting 900000 A's into a search box
    and before it even displays the A's X crashes.  (note: If you want it to
    display the A's before X crashes paste 9000, then as soon as you click to
    start the search - its bye bye X).

    Sorry but I can only test it on KDE 2.1.2, because I have no other systems
    available right now.

    By the way:

    [smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ uname -a
    Linux mainframe 2.4.2-2 #1 Sun Apr 8 20:41:30 EDT 2001 i686 unknown
    (Rehat 7.1)
    (KDE 2.1.2)
    (this works in Gnome and KDE using with the konqueror web browser)

    To test simply use a shell and type:

    perl -e 'print "A" x 9000'

    Then copy these, and paste them into a search form.

    Also I tried this in netscape and it didn't work so it suggests its a
    konqueror error somewhere or other.

    Cheers

    Scott Mackenzie