Re: Crashing X

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 16:55:33 PST

    On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 09:26:53PM +0000, scott wrote:
    > I have discovered a little bug in K Desktop 2.1.2 that crashes your X Server.
    [...]
    > Also I tried this in netscape and it didn't work so it suggests its a
    > konqueror error somewhere or other.

    Absolutely not. No X client should ever be able to cause the X server to
    crash. (Same deal with compilers and input files .. no input file, no
    matter how maliciously written, should ever cause a compiler to
    segfault.) This is a bug in XFree86, and, luckily, a known bug. Sadly, I
    don't recognize the fix on XFree86's security page.[1]

    The vuln-dev Message-ID is <3B822F5F.99227A5Fat_private>. I saw a fix
    for it on September 16th, so I'm rather hoping XFree86 releases newer
    than that have the fix integrated.

    Cheers!

    [1]: http://www.xfree86.org/security/

    --
    "In God we trust, all others we monitor."
     -- NSA, Intercept Operators's motto, 1970