Re: Netscape engineers are weenies?

From: NyQuist (NyQuistat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 20:30:13 PST

    On Sat, 2001-12-08 at 10:33, s1gnal_9 wrote:
    > Some thoughts...
    >
    > Remember the whole dvwssr.dll Backdoor found by Alf Serer (alfat_private).  Well today I found another dynamic link library on my Win2k Pro box with the path C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSDesigners98\mdt2lv.dll also contains the string !seineew era sreenigne epacsteN
    > Not that it looks like it would pose any security threats, just interesting.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    > --
    > Powered by Instant Portal

    Seems someone already knows. April 28 2000.
    http://www.ntsecurity.net/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=8655

    <snip>
    Discovering Additional Derogatory Netscape References

    The ´Netscape engineers are weeniesˇ reference in Microsoft Visual
    InterDev 1.0 earlier this month might not be just an isolated incident.
    In Microsoft Security Bulletin MS00-025 , Microsoft mentions only Visual
    InterDev 1.0 and the associated file dvwssr.dll as containing the
    now-famous phrase in reverse-character order, ´!seineew era sreenigne
    epacsteN.ˇ However, a reader˙s sharp eye has led to the discovery that
    the reference appears in as many as two other DLLs that install with
    Visual InterDev 6.0, Visual Studio 6.0, and Visual Studio 97. The same
    phrase has turned up in the dynamically linked libraries mdt2lv.dll and
    mdturet.dll.

    According to the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) DLL Help database ,
    mdt2lv.dll is also part of Visual InterDev˙s Link View function--the
    same function to which the previously reported dvwssr.dll contributed.
    Mdturet.dll is also a part of the much older Visual Studio 97. Microsoft
    is aware of this new discovery and is currently investigating it.

    --Allen Jones (ajat_private)

    Source: Windows 2000 Magazine
    </snip>