Re: UDP DoS attack in Win2k via IKE

From: Emre Yildirim (emreat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 14:31:56 PST

    > On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 14:37, c0redump wrote:
    >
    > has anyone test this against Windows XP  Professional? or Windows 2000
    > both result on 60 to 90 % cpu usage, but machine keeps responding. same
    > test against a windows 2000 professional with PGPNet instaled gave the
    > same result, 100% CPU Usage.

    XP Professional gets up to 80% on my machine, but keeps responding.

    > Linux with IPSec Support and ipsec enabled gave high cpu usage too. but
    > nothing with can render the machine unusable.

    Same here, I tried the above with my NetBSD (KAME IPsec) box and the load
    averages did go up, but the machine was still fully operational.  Also,
    IPsec isnot enabled by default in Windows, so this should not really be a problem.
     Inmost VPN setups, a VPN host is usually behind some sort of packet filter and
    only accepts connections to port 500 from clients that need to negotiate key
    exchange.

    Just my $0.02 on this.

    --
    Emre Yildirim <emreat_private>