D-Link DWL-1000AP can be compromised because of SNMP configuration

From: Jonathan Strine (jstrineat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 11:26:55 PST

    Here is a message that I sent to D-Link support
    regarding this vulnerability:

    -- Start email --
    I currently own a DWL-1000AP Wireless Access
    point.  My firmware version is 3.2.28 #483 (Aug 23
    2001).  I run my access point using 128-bit WEP, a
    non-default admin password, a non-default SSID
    name, and I disallow all MACs except for those
    explicitly allowed.  Knowing that the DWL-1000AP
    used SNMP, I performed a MIB walk to obtain the
    available counters that I could monitor.  In the
    process I found a weakness in the product which
    could potentially allow an attacker to hijack the
    access point.

    I first performed the MIB walk using the read-only
    SNMP community of public (which was simply a
    educated guess on my part, but nontheless the
    default read-only community for most devices).  I was
    surprised to find the "admin password" (for this
    example my password was "snowball") to the access
    point listed in clear text in OID
    1.3.6.1.4.1.937.2.1.2.2.0 as a string value.  Next I
    setup my SNMP utility to use "snowball" as the write
    community, and I was able to reset the value stored
    in that OID to any arbitrary value.  A quick check by
    accessing the HTTP configuration page of the
    access point showed that the password was indeed
    changed.

    This means that anyone armed with a simple SNMP
    utility which can perform read and write operations,
    the read community name (which defaults to "public"
    with no way to change it using D-Link's config
    software), and access to the network connected to
    the ethernet port of the access point could hijack the
    access point and either simply configure it to allow
    them access to the wireless network or completely
    change the configuration and cause a denial of
    service.

    The only protection currently offered by the access
    point against this attack is the lock access point
    procedure.  While this is effective, I do not believe
    that it is practical.  The access point may be mounted
    in a hard to access area, for example, in which case
    a simple configuration change would require physical
    access to the device, which may be impractical in all
    situations.

    A more practical solution would be to give the user
    the ability to set both the read-only (found in OID
    1.3.6.1.4.1.937.2.1.2.1.0) and write community
    names.  This can currently be done, as I have tested,
    by using an SNMP utility to write to the read-only
    community OID.  By changing that community, an
    attacker would have to sniff SNMP packets accross
    the network or otherwise figure out the read-only
    community, a more difficult task than simply using
    the default read-only community for most SNMP
    devices.  By giving the user the ability to control the
    read-only community value through the HTTP
    configuration, it would be a very simple task for that
    user to change the value during the initial setup and
    thus increase the security of the access point.

    I realize that the most secure method is the lock
    access point method.  However, I believe that the
    simple ability to change the read-only community
    name has enough security value and is simple
    enough not to be overlooked and should be integrated
    into your configuration software.
    -- End email --

    D-Link responded with this unsatisfactory message:

    -- Start email --
    Dear Valued Customer,
              In regards to your e-mail, I agree however the
    dwl-1000 is
          intended for residential use.  It doesn't put of
    enough wireless
          signal to cause much concern of hackers.  The
    hacker would have to be
          sitting outside you house by the window.

          Thank you for your technical question and
    feedback. If you are
          continuing to have problems, please contact our
    live support at
          800-758-5489
          or resubmit the problem at
    http://www.dlink.com/tech/contact/.

          Thank You,
          D-Link US Technical Support
          949-790-5290
    -- End email --

    I find D-Link's response to be unsatisfactory,
    considering how easy it would be to allow a user to
    change the read community name.  Until D-Link
    decides to do anything, I'd encourage anyone who
    has a DWL-1000AP to use an SNMP utility to change
    the read community stored in OID
    (1.3.6.1.4.1.937.2.1.2.1.0).

    Jonathan Strine
    jstrineat_private