Too much misleading advice on the Universal Plug-and-Play security hole

From: Richard M. Smith (rmsat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2001 - 10:03:32 PST

    Hi,

    The more I look at the security problems in the Universal Plug-and-Play
    (UPNP) feature of Windows, the more I think it is a big mistake to
    characterized them as Windows XP problems.  It is entirely possible that
    there are more Windows ME (Millennium Edition) users who are vulnerable
    to the security hole than XP users.  The risk here is that Windows ME
    users won't get the Microsoft patch because they assume the problems are
    only for XP given most of the press coverage so far.

    I believe better advice is that all Windows XP and ME users should
    either get the Microsoft patch or make sure that UPNP is turned off.

    Pretty clearly the security problems were introducted when Microsoft
    starting shipping Windows ME during the summer of 2000:

      Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition Released to Manufacturing
      June 19, 2000
      http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/Jun00/WinMeReleasePR.asp

      "and the first implementation of Universal Plug and Play technology
      in a Microsoft product."

    So the problems with the UPNP server are actually more than a year and
    half old.

    More accurately these bugs are Windows ME bugs that have been passed
    along to Windows XP.

    I just checked my two XP system at my house and UPNP was not installed
    on either one of them.  One XP system is an OEM version shipped by
    Compaq.  The second XP system was upgraded from Windows 98.  On the
    other hand, my two Windows ME systems both had UPNP enabled.  Given my
    experience, I think it is difficult to say exactly who will be affected
    by these bugs.  Computer makers don't seem to be following the rules for
    installing UPNP as described by Microsoft in their security bulletin.

    Richard M. Smith
    http://www.computerbytesman.com