Re: Remote Root Hole in FreeBSD Ports

From: Horms (hormsat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2001 - 18:41:46 PST

    This notice is in reference to a reported root hole in the FreeBSD port of
    perdition and more specifically the library vanessa_logger that it
    requires.

    http://www.securityfocus.org/archive/1/247148

    First I would like to express great dismay that this was published on a
    public list (BugTraq) without prior consultation with the author (myself)
    or to my knowledge the maintainer of the FreeBSD port, Konstantinos
    Konstantinidis.

    There is a string format bug in vanessa_logger 0.0.1 which is what the post
    to BugTraq makes reference to. FreeBSD, was at the time of the posting
    shipping this vulnerable version.

    vanessa_logger 0.0.2, released on the 29th of June 2001, is not vulnerable
    to this exploit. FreeBSD have released a patched version of vanessa_logger
    0.0.1 which is also not vulnerable. Users should upgrade to either of
    these.

        vanessa_logger 0.0.2 is available from
        ftp://ftp.vergenet.net/pub/vanessa/vanessa_logger/0.0.2

    At this time I would also like to highlight the importance of running
    perdition as a non-root user. The --username and --group options enable
    perdition to run as non-root for most of a processes life. If these options
    are used then the potential risk from any exploits stemming from the string
    format bug in vanessa_logger are significantly reduced.

    For more information on perdition please see
    http://vergenet.net/linux/perdition/

    --
    Horms
    Author of perdition and vanessa_logger