Re: XP automatic recognition of Nokia as NIC?

From: Thomas Cannon (tcannonat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 13:50:13 PST

    This sounds accurate enough. I have an Ericsson cell phone with an
    optional attachable cell modem that works over Ir. While I've not played
    with XP, Win98 was happy enough to install the drivers and allow me to
    dial out with a minimum of hassle.

    I'm not sure how much of a threat this actually is, though. The Ir port
    only works from at most a couple feet. To hijack someone's phone in a cafe
    or something, it'd have to be one table over, facing the right direction,
    have an unobstructed view, and not make any beeping noises (mine does) and
    all it's scoe you is a 9600 baud link to an ISP account that you'd have to
    provide.

    For what it's worth, I have also used my palm pilot to dial out via that
    same modem, again with no problems from the phone. SO it fyou want to
    think of it as a vulnerability, it's not one of Windows, but rather one of
    the cell phone.

    Cheers,

    Thomas