XP automatic recognition of Nokia as NIC?

From: Geoff Lane (zzassglat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 12:54:30 PST

    Beware, this story was related about a friend of a friend (FOAF) and so
    should be regarded with suspicion...

    A FOAF had bought a new laptop PC with Windows XP installed. He also owned
    one of the latest Nokia cell phones.  One day he was using the PC when the
    Nokia was switched on and laid next to the PC.  The PC promptly put up a
    standard "New hardware Discovered" dialog box.  Curious, the FOAF worked
    through the device install dialog. XP had recognised the cell phone via the
    PC IR interface (one assumes the Nokia announces it's presence when switched
    on via it's own IR interface.) XP worked out that the Nokia could be used as
    a network interface and asked for the phone number of the FOAF's ISP, which
    was given. (It's possible that this is another function of the UPnP
    package.) The PC then connected to the ISP and a fully working network
    connection was established...

    The risk is obvious, XP did not establish the ownership of the cell phone
    before dialing out.

    As I said, I'm only relating the tale as it was told.  I do not have the
    hardware necessary to test the truth of the story, perhaps others on this
    list do.

    --
    Geoff Lane