Re: XP automatic recognition of Nokia as NIC?

From: Perry Harrington (pedwardat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 14:18:08 PST

    I have one of those cellphones.  First, they don't 'announce' their presence,
    they must have the IR feature enabled explicitly via the phone menu.  XP was
    simply searching for IR devices and queried the phone with standard modem
    commands (ATI4).

    Second, these phones have a very limited range and line-of-site.  You must be
    within about a foot for them to work, and then only if they are lined up well
    with the IR port.

    On a side note these phones are GSM and work at 9600bps with fairly high latency.

    They work for emergency stuff though, great for using with a Psion.

    In my opinion having one of these phones, this is a non-issue, as you cannot
    perform any action without the owners explicit consent.

    --Perry

    --
    Perry Harrington                 Director of                    zelur xuniL  ()
    perry at webcom dot com      System Architecture                Think Blue.  /\

    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
    deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up with either.
                                 -- Benjamin Franklin