More reading of local files in MSIE

From: jelmer (jelmerat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 12:24:49 PST

    More reading of local files in MSIE

    Description

    There is a security vulnerability in IE 5.5 and 6 (probably other
    versions as well) which allows reading and sending of local files.
    The problem lies in the fact that you are able to access a local file's
    dom by calling the execScript function on a newly created window
    The sample exploit provided can only read browser readable files however
    it is highly likely that reading binary files is possible as well
    (By attaching an event to the dom that calls the httpxmlcomponent, witch
    itself at the point of writing is still vulnerable as well)
    In order for this exploit to work the file name must be known.

    Risk

    High

    Systems affected:

    The vulnerability has been successfully exploited on
    IE 6 / Windows XP with all patches installed
    IE 5.5 / Windows ME

    Most likely other operating system / internet explorer versions are
    vulnerable as well I have not tested it though

    Vendor status:

    I send Microsoft a cc of my bugtraq post

    Example:

    A working example is available at
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~jkuperus/bug2.htm
    Workaround:

    Disable active scripting

    -- Insert some random nasty remarks about Microsoft at the dotted line