Razor Warning: SPAM/UBE/UCE

From: the Pull (osioniusxat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 17:19:57 PST

    --- jelmer <jelmerat_private> wrote:

    > More reading of local files in MSIE
    >
    > Description
    >

    > There is a security vulnerability in IE 5.5 and 6
    > (probably other
    > versions as well) which allows reading and sending
    > of local files.
    > The problem lies in the fact that you are able to
    > access a local file's
    > dom by calling the execScript function on a newly
    > created window
    > The sample exploit provided can only read browser
    > readable files

    It might be noted here that this tends to be
    "text/html", and probably the most single vulnerable
    filetype that is of this kind is of ".log" format.
    This means if you can read "c:\file.txt" you can also
    read Apache, IIS, database, Mirc, and whatever other
    type of .log files might be on someone's system except
    for one's locked by a system process.

    ... however, from looking at the source code it
    contains the same usage of document.write() which was
    in the bug I just released.

    Jelmer's:
    "        extDoc =
    document.open('file:///C:/jelmer.txt','jelmer','height=200,width=400,status=no,toolbar=no,menubar=no,location=no');"

    mine:
    var y = document.open( "c:/test.txt", "x",
    "width=400,height=400,status = yes, location =
    yes,resizable = yes, toolbar=yes" );

    It doesn't matter if it is "cmd  =
    'extDoc.execScript("alert(document.body.innerText)",
    "Jscript");';" that is able to read the code or this:
    setTimeout('alert(y.document.body.innerHTML);y.document.close();',1000);
    -- they are just the same thing.

    (ref: http://www.osioniusx.com document.write()) bug.

    Basically, the problem is that when the
    document.write() uses the window.open() method as
    described on the msdn website for the method here:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/open_1.asp

    The actual exploit code doesn't really matter. I
    understand the misunderstanding because it is just
    simply such a common method.