Re: ICQ remote buffer overflow vulnerability

From: Daniel Tan (datanat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 13:09:44 PST

    I've discovered that the same payload can be sent through Direct
    Connection with the receiver, even with the DC settings set to
    maximum (ie. allow only users on my contact list, allow DC
    upon authorisation, do not allow older version of clients to DC).
    If the sender is 'trusted' (ie. on the users' contact list), the
    sender can establish a TCP connection with the users' listening
    port even if DC settings are on maximum (in which case the
    receiver's IP & port are not given to the sender, but one can
    find this out in other ways eg. email header + port scan).

    Whereas having the payload sent through the server allows a
    possible remedy in having the server check for malformed packets,
    being able to send the packet directly to the client takes away
    that possibility.

    Again, this works only for ICQ2000 clients.

    Daniel Tan
    Class of 2004
    Jerome Fisher Management & Technology Program
    University of Pennsylvania, USA
    datanat_private
    datanat_private