Re: ICQ remote buffer overflow vulnerability

From: Daniel Tan (datanat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 15:41:11 PST

    my apologies...
    After making the discovery that the overflow occurs even with DC with
    the remote client, I have to deduce that parsing of the TLV packet
    is NOT at fault in this case.

    Reason: TLV packets are those that go through the servers. But DC
    connections do not use them. I believe it is in the creation of
    the message event that the buffer overflow occurs.

    An important difference with the AIM overflow is that the user has
    to doubleclick on the contact to receive the event for the overflow
    to occur. But I believe this is still a risk since most people
    would double click on their events anyway.