Re: Stunnel: Format String Bug update

From: Roman Drahtmueller (drahtat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 07:52:34 PST

    > The versions listed in the original advisory were wrong.
    > Stunnel versions prior to 3.15 did not contain any smtp
    > client negotiation code, only server code which is not
    > vulnerable.  The buggy smtp, pop, and nntp client code
    > wasn't added until version 3.15, not 3.3 as I originally
    > reported.
    >
    > Versions prior to 3.15 are not vulnerable.  The misdiagnosis
    > was caused by an abundance of migranes, illness, and vomitting
    > in my household which is luckily starting to abate.

    The SuSE Linux distributions 7.2 and 7.3 as well as SLES7 have
    stunnel-3.14 (unpatched). It does have protocol-dependent code, but there
    are no format string bugs that are exploitable (only "unclean" lines like
    fdprintf(local, "220 Go ahead", line); ).

    You have to dig into it for a few minutes. The version statement does not
    hold.

    [...]

    > Update Date:           2-Jan-2002
    > Original Release Date: 22-Dec-2001
    >
    > Package:               stunnel
    > Versions:              stunnel-3.15 => stunnel-3.21c
    > Problem type:          format string bugs

    Roman.
    --
    | Roman Drahtmüller      <drahtat_private> // "You don't need eyes to see, |