Re: Linksys 'routers', SNMP issues

From: The Cyberiad (cyberiadat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 07:05:29 PST

    I performed some testing against the BEFSR81, v2.37
    firmware last fall and noted that the unit responded to SNMP
    on the WAN interface. With the correct community string you could
    enumerate values, determine the internal network addressing,
    etc., etc and even add forwarding rules to access services on internal
    hosts. When a change is made, the trick is to find the SNMP var which acts
    as the switch to save the new config values and recycle with the new
    vals. Some poking and some Linksys MIBS found on the Internet id'd/confirmed
    the software switch as,

    .1.3.6.1.4.1.3955.3.1.6.0

    integer valued ... set to 1 to save new vals/recycle.

    The v2.38.1 firmware release reportedly blocks the WAN SNMP
    so Linksys must've found out about the external WAN SNMP access.

    Cyberiad