Re: Aftpd core dump vulnerability

From: Neeko Oni (neekoat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 12:46:02 PST

    I, too, came across this vulnerability many months ago and tried to no
    avail to locate the author.  I did, however, find what appeared to be
    the website of the daemon in question (the URL has been lost).
    As to your assumption that the daemon allowed 'regular' (/etc/passwd)
    logins, are you sure?  My test site didn't, and the password file grabbed
    in the core was -not- the system password file.  The daemon used DES for
    the passwords, yet the system used MD5... my test site also gave me the
    appearance that it was the system password file, because the administrator
    gave -almost all- system users accounts on the aftpd.  That system, too,
    was a large hosting company (Canadian?).  If the author is MIA and no point
    of contact can be made, I'm not sure if a vendor solution would be viable.
    Just thought I would add my input into this situation, but from what I've
    seen, only other aftpd user accounts are at risk--hoping, of course, that
    people aren't using the same password for everything they touch.  *sigh*

    Thanks for your time, hope this helps anyone interested,

    .Jeffrey Roberts
            [Neeko]
            01/07/02