w00w00 on AIM Filter (Backdoors & SpyWare)

From: Jordan Ritter (jpr5at_private)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 12:43:01 PST

    BugTraq readership:

        It has recently come to our attention that AIM Filter, which we
        recommended as an appropriate temporary solution for the AIM
        buffer overflows we published, actually contains backdoors and
        spyware.  This became obvious when the source was released on
        January 5th, 2002.

        At the time, Robbie Saunders' AIM Filter seemed like a nice
        temporary solution.  Unfortunately, it instead produces cash-paid
        click-throughs over time intervals and contains backdoor code
        combined with basic obfuscation to divulge system information and
        launch several web browsers to porn sites. We only took the time
        to verify that it blocked the attack, since an analysis of AIM
        filter wasn't our priority. Mea culpa.

        In the meantime, we've cleaned up the AIM Filter code and produced
        a modified version available on our website, and we've removed all
        the backdoors and spyware.  For those of you who are still
        interested in using the software, we strongly recommend you use
        this modified version instead.  You will find it at:

             http://www.w00w00.org/files/w00aimfilter.zip

        We apologize to the security community at large for this mistake.
        However, we think this is a very apt example of why closed-source
        programs can be deadly.  You never know for sure what lurks under
        the hood of a binary executable, and of course U.S. Law (DMCA)
        forbids you from trying to find out.  Once again, disclosure is
        your best friend.

        We urge readers to find out more about the DMCA at
        http://www.anti-dmca.org/.

        We would also like to take this opportunity to provide updated
        reference information on the original AIM vulnerability, which has
        now been assigned a CVE Candidate ID: CVE-2002-0005.

    --jordan and the w00w00 Security Team