Re: ICQ remote buffer overflow vulnerability

From: 'ken'@FTU
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 14:06:24 PST

    elijah wright wrote:

    >>This is very similar to the AIM overflow recently discovered.
    >>ICQ protocol uses the same TLV (2711) packet and there is a similar
    >>weakness in the parsing of the packet.
    >>

    > duh, that's because its essentially the same protocol.  :)

    I disagree: there is an important distinction between the protocol (the
    rules) and the parsing of the data (the implementation).

    > ICQ clients should probably be viewed with the same suspicion as the
    > vulnerable AIM clients.

    This assumes that the coders who developed ICQ made the same errors as
    the codes who developed AIM.

    I happen to agree, but not because they use the same protocol. I agree
    because many programmers do not know how to code (and parse) safely...

    'ken'