RE: w00w00 on AIM Filter (Backdoors & SpyWare)

From: Tim Yardley (liquidat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 14:05:03 PST

    I did the modifications to aimfilter so I will offer a little clarification
    on the issue.  What was in the original aimfilter was not anything that was
    overtly harmful to your system.  There were just a few things that provided
    backdoor entries into your machine by the original author.  Following is a
    quick overview of what I removed and what they did:

    The query user packet would send a message to robbie saunders with the ip
    address of your machine.
    The dc packet would open 4 web browsers to various porn sites.
    The dc loop packet  would send the dc packet in a message over and over,
    until length of 7900 was reached (max transmission size I guess).
    On connect, the software would connect to 2 different sites using robbie's
    click id (to generate money for him).  There was also a timer that did this
    same thing.
    There was commented code that would send a hardcoded login packet.
    All "potentially annoying or malicious" IM send's were removed.  This was
    done to make AimFilter what the name suggests, a filter instead of a tool
    of abuse.
    Logging was changed so that remote admin attempts would be logged with the
    offenders handle.
    Identifying text was changed slightly to differentiate the original from my
    modifications, tagging it with w00w00 and stating the original was done by
    Robbie Saunders.  There was no stated license, but I tried to maintain the
    credit as best as possible (even though the recipient of that credit had
    potential malintent).

    The username's that it would react to for backdoors was either
    "robbieiship" or "eriksjolund" for query user (ip announce) and just
    "robbieiship" for the dc packet and the corresponding loop.  Other
    usernames that Robbie had that may have been related to the "robbieiship"
    username showed up in the commented out code, specifically "sobbie raunders".

    In closing, the cleanup was done quickly but all offending code/functions
    have been disabled or removed that I found in the few hours I spent
    analyzing and modifying the code.  w00aimfilter should act solely as a
    filter now, instead of anything else that Robbie had intended it to do.  I
    won't get into any debates about his intent nor will I attack him for what
    he coded into the binary, but I will state my opinion on one thing.  Any
    software that is released to the public, or even privately, should do what
    it is advertised to do and nothing else.  People should not be coding
    backdoors, money generation schemes, or other covert options into
    applications.  This should especially not be done without statement to the
    users of said application.  I don't know about the legality of putting such
    backdoors in an application, but I would guess that it would be frowned
    upon by US law at least.  I hope that one thing good comes out of this and
    that is that Robbie realizes that what he did was wrong if not legally,
    then at least socially.

    With that, our modifications to aimfilter were made public and hosted from
    our site at http://www.w00w00.org/files/w00aimfilter.zip  I hope you find
    the modifications useful.  We offer no warranty for the code, but included
    the source with the release so that you can do what you want with it.  Take
    care.

    -- from lst @ efnet on behalf of w00w00 Security Development.

    /tmy

    >---- Forwarded message from Michelle Mueller <muellermat_private> -----
    >
    >From: "Michelle Mueller" <muellermat_private>
    >To: "'Jordan Ritter'" <jpr5at_private>
    >Subject: RE: w00w00 on AIM Filter (Backdoors & SpyWare)
    >Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:08:05 -0600
    >
    >You mention that the program contained backdoors and spyware, but not
    >how to remove those once that filter was installed.  Since I am now
    >going to have to do clean up on friend's and family's machines after
    >forwarding your suggestion to use the filter on to them, I'd like to
    >know exactly what it installs, where it installs it, what it does, and
    >if it goes away after uninstalling the filter.  I knew I should have
    >listened to my instincts about that filter, but unfortunately I didn't.
    >If you can please pass this info on to me I would appreciate it.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Michelle

    -- Diving into infinity my consciousness expands in inverse
        proportion to my distance from singularity