Re: myvoicestream.com vulnerability

From: Scott Dier (diemanat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 19:06:34 PST

    * Trey Valenta <treyat_private> [020109 18:35]:
    > myvoicestream.com allows VoiceStream Wireless customers to manage their
    > phones and billing accounts over SSL. Access controls to sessions are

    You missed the worst of it:

    If you go to the 'update profile' page and view source, you can see the
    currently set password.  (Web authors: please stop doing this, please
    leave those blank, please require reauthentication when resetting
    passwords.  I've found another site today apart from that that I just
    notified the vendor of...)

    Thus: you can hijack a session and gain a potentially re-used common
    password and compromise a persons other accounts with that gained
    information.

    --
    Scott Dier <diemanat_private> http://www.ringworld.org/

    the desire for space travel is a metaphor for escape